Last year, I found & pinned a tree topper offered by Land of Nod. This year, I decided I was ready to buy it, but of course, they no longer offer it. :(
So I did the only thing I could: Made my own — with a couple of changes to suit our family's style.
It is a little hard to see in the photos, but I added a bright pink star under the white one & hand-stitched the smaller stars and circle to the large main star with a decorative blanket stitch. I think it adds a bit of whimsy to a somewhat folksy design. And since I just can't help myself, I made up a pattern to share with you. You can download the pieces here.
Once you have the pieces of felt cut out, Stack the two stars & circles, securing with fusible tape or similar. Repeat with the second set.
Center the stacked stars & circle onto the large star, securing with fusible tape or similar. Stitch around edges of each small star & the circle with a sewing machine, or hand-stitch with a decorative blanket stitch. Repeat with the second set.
1. Place triangle piece on the front of the star and stitch 1/2 inch from the edge.
2. Clip curve. Repeat with the second set.
Fold triangle to the back & iron to press in place. Repeat with the second set.
- Place both stars together, front to front. Sew around the perimeter, 1/2 inch from the edge, dot to dot.
- Align the triangle pieces & sew together 1/4 inch from the edge, starting where you stopped on the star and continuing all the way around, leaving the space between the dots open.
- Turn the star right-side-out through the hole left in the triangle. Use the eraser end of the pencil, or other blunt object to help push out the star points.
- Stuff the star with fiberfill, pushing it into the star points, leaving room in the body portion to push the triangle into it.
- Hand-stitch the opening on the triangle closed using a ladder stitch.
Push the triangle up into the center of the star, creating a cavity that you can slip over the top of the Christmas tree, securing your Star Tree Topper in place.
Get some help and put the star on your tree & enjoy!!!!
I'm loving the way our family room looks this Christmas. I even added my new Christmas canvases to our walls. They were the PERFECT finishing touch.
In other news, to help you with your Christmas shopping & decorating, I'm offering 20% off EVERYTHING in my shop when you use the code TAKE20! Yes, that includes cut paper & canvases!!! What are you waiting for? Get shopping! :)