Grilled Mushroom Quesdillia May 17, 2013 08:37
You might remember a few weeks ago I mentioned that a life saving grace to making meals at home for us was to cook whole chickens, then add the protein to other dishes. Here is a quesadilla that we often make with that exact recipe. You can also keep this recipe vegetarian by just omiting the chicken.
- 1 mild Chile (Anaheim or Poblano)
- 2 jalapeno chilies (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 lb variety of mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. chicken of Chile powder
- 2 cloves of garlic (pressed)
- 1/4 cup of your favorite tomato based salsa
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese
- 8 oz. of chicken (optional)
- Fire up the grill and cook the chilies over the heat source until it blisters on all sides. Transfer to a container with a lid, I use a bowl topped with a plate. Sweat the chilies for about 10-15 minutes then peel, deseed, and finely chop.
- Meanwhile in a bowl add mushrooms, olive oil, Chile powder, and garlic toss until well incorporated. Grill over direct heat until mushrooms are softened. Remove mushrooms from heat and roughly chop, add finely chopped chilies, and salsa mix until well incorporated. If you are adding the chicken finely chop the chicken and add. You may want to add additional spices listed above to taste (Lori does). Allow to cool.
- While the mixture is cooling mark the tortillas one side over direct heat of the grill this should only take a second or two per tortilla.
- Next place a tortilla on an oiled sheet of foil. Add cheese on one half of the tortilla, and then spoon the mixture on to the cheese with out overfilling the tortilla. Then fold the tortilla in half. Fold the foil sheet over the tortilla making a cocoon.
- Grill over direct heat each side for 5 minutes, 10 minutes total.
- Enjoy with a Negra Modelo.