This time a year when the mornings are brisk it just doesn't see right to sit down to a cold breakfast. This recipe combines sweet butternut squash, smoked Gouda, a buttery crust, and farm fresh eggs to warm you up.
Here's what you'll need for the crust:
- A store bought one. It's the morning who wants to make a home made crust? If anyone complains take their quiche away. :)
For the Filling
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- course salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled,seeded, & finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh minced sage
- pinch of sugar
- 1 cup freshly grated smoked Gouda (my grocer happens to have a great selection in the deli, check yours, often cheeses are less expensive at the deli counter than at the gourmet cheese bar, additionally fontina, and smoked provolone can be used in substitution)
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 375.
Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion with a generous pinch of salt and pepper until the onion begins to soften about 2-3 minutes.
Add squash and sage and cook until squash is softened about 5 minutes more, when you're done cooking add a pinch of sugar and remove from heat.
In a bowl whisk eggs and milk until throughly combined. Then add the squash mixture and cheese; stir to blend.
Pour the eggs into pre-baked pie crust, and bake for 45-50.
The center should be cooked but jiggly.